Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Idea: Crowdcasting News

Okay, here's how I want to my get my news now. Think of it as like Digg meets the social graph.

I have some kind of trust network of friends. A vanilla graph would do, but let's face it, I value news from some sources more than other. Anyone who stumbles on some news (or generates some) might tweet it at the moment, or Facebook it. I want them to amplify it instead.

There is a database somewhere that tracks all the amplification clicks it gets against URLs, say keeping track of 2-3 days information. It then extracts those clicks which originated from my trust network, then weights all the URLs according to number of clicks. If a URL meets threshold, I get it as news. In fact, what I specify is my desired number of news items per day, and the threshold adapts.

If I had that, I would completely replace newspapers. I would have an aggregated news feed and an aggregated comment feed (currently newspapers+slashdot+dig, and facebook+twitter+email).

I think that would be cool.