Friday, September 26, 2008

Code, wiki style

I've got this use case for editing code through a web interface, like a wiki. I thought I'd find out if anyone else has thought about this topic, and didn't see anything jump out at me when searching.

The situation is that maybe there's an open-source or perhaps just shared-development project in a workplace, hosted on the cloud. Rather than each person having an IDE set up for them or accessing a CVS repository, they just have a web interface.

Maybe the system requires logins to track changes, or in the first instance maybe it just allows unrestricted and un-tracked editing.

Does anyone know of such a system? Ideally, the server code would be written in Python (I'm trying to set up a Python-only technology stack for reasons of minimalism) but I would be interested in non-Python systems. I don't mind if the interface is fairly primitive to start with, but it would be neat if it did include some additional features such as syntax highlighting.

What do people think?

Cheers,
-T